4.18.2008

Theme

Me--who?
Well, I like to eat, sleep, drink and be in love.
I like to work, read, learn, and understand life.
I like a pipe for a Christmas present,
or records--Bessie, bop, or Bach.

-- Langston Hughes, "Theme for English B"

--

After the performance last night, an old couple approached me. They figured I had directed the show on account of I had dressed up, and they wanted to let me know they liked what they had seen. They praised the acting like they knew what they were talking about. They said the show would make a good choice for a Bible study, that they would perhaps like to use the script and read it aloud with their group. I smiled like that was a good idea. I like that--several "goddamns," "shits," and "assholes," and one very important F-bomb, and they think it will be okay for a group of Christian adults sipping grape juice and sitting cross-legged on the newly-cleaned carpet of some squeaky, friendly couple.

(For what it's worth, I'd love for them to take the script and actually do it. I think a lot of Christians would be better people if they just broke down and swore from time to time. It's like farting--just get it out.)

"I was expecting the father at the end to blame the mother for letting their daughter go off with that boy," the woman said to me.

"Sure. You know, that's not really the point, though--"

"Oh, I know, I know. But that's what I would have expected from him."

I bade them good night.

No comments: