4.19.2008

Leaps

"The human race has outgrown Christianity."

-- Soren Kierkegaard, "Journals," June 19, 1852

--

After seeing "Rain," a philosophy major asked if I had read any Kierkegaard. I really haven't. But my curiosity is peaked now, and I just read the Wikipedia article on the great Dane.

The Pope is in this country and most people do not care. The Catholics believe the Pope is the closest one can get to God on earth.

I think I believe people is the closest people can get to God on earth. Other people. Loving needs an object. I think I am a Christian existentialist and a humanist at the same time, but I don't know yet.

--

"You died on a Saturday morning. And I had you placed here under our tree. And I had that house of your father's bulldozed to the ground. Momma always said dyin' was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't. Little Forrest, he's doing just fine. About to start school again soon. I make his breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. I make sure he combs his hair and brushes his teeth every day. Teaching him how to play ping-pong. He's really good. We fish a lot. And every night, we read a book. He's so smart, Jenny. You'd be so proud of him. I am. He, uh, wrote a letter, and he says I can't read it. I'm not supposed to, so I'll just leave it here for you. Jenny, I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time. I miss you, Jenny. If there's anything you need, I won't be far away. "

-- Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump in "Forrest Gump"

No comments: