4.16.2008

Away

On came the kings, came at them,
Canaan's kings came at them,
by Taanak, on Megiddo's streams;
and much they made of it!
The very stars in heaven were fighting,
fighting Sisera from their spheres;
Kishon's torrent swept the foe off,
Kishon's torrent in their faces!
(Bless the Eternal's power, my soul!)

Then thudded hoofs of horses,
and the chargers thundered away.

-- Judges 6:19-22

--

The smoke under my hood is from an antifreeze leak; I smell it. One drop of antifreeze can mean a world of stink. It's like wearing a pillowcase on your head, that chamber liquid smell, the smell of worn skin or a windbreaker in the rain.

So instead of coming to see the show I've directed (shameless plug), my parents will be sending me the money they would have spent on gas. I am to take this money and have my car fixed. The antifreeze, see, has leaked into the oil via a broken gasket. The engine turns but the wheels do not. It does not start fully before it shudders into silence.

--

They will come for commencement, though, when as far as I'm concerned all the chargers can thunder away. No--that's not true. Not quite. I'll trade one besieging army for another, most likely.

--

I found a Vonnegut children's story called Sun Moon Star. I wonder sometimes how many children's books (movies, too) were made with the intent that no child would ever read it. That only adults would read it, accepting it as an immature work for immature minds, and finding that it has stabbed them in the back.

No comments: