8.06.2009

Masses

"I think that when you take the mystery, and the fear, our of helping youngsters put on their own shows and teaching them to act better in those shows, it's a good scene. A very good scene."

-- Paul Newman, in his Foreword to Kids Take the Stage, by Lenka Peterson & Dan O'Connor

--

Some developments lately:

The auditions. The Children's Theatre auditions began last night at 6pm. Because I have been taking reservations since early June, negotiating with stage moms and wedging in last-minute appointments, these four days of auditions feel like a climax of sorts. Two months of work culminate in four days, 250 auditions, and twice as many names and faces. (Lots of paperwork, too, and that's the worst.) But we kept to schedule last night, actually finishing two minutes ahead of time, so I count that a success. Auditions as a rule run later than late. But there's still tonight's three-hour melee, as well as the weekend.

And then? The callbacks. Callbacks are set for Monday thru Wednesday of next week, which means in addition to the office stuff, I need to get back to what I do best, and that is looking at scripts. I am contracted to perform in all four shows, so I of course have plenty of callback material to prepare. My callbacks are as follows: Cogsworth and Lefou* (Beauty and the Beast, Jr.); Harry the Stage Manager* (Holiday Follies); Narrator* and Cow/Villager (Jack and the Beanstalk); and Mark Twain, Tom*, and Huck (Tom Sawyer). So that's what...eight roles to look at...or two roles per show, roughly. This weekend's gonna be intense.

* preferred role

The commercial. I just signed up with Katalyst, a local talent agency, exactly one week and one day ago. And in that time, I have already received two appointments to audition for commercials. I had to turn down a Kroger commercial because it conflicted with TCTC auditions and then filmed overnight (my guess is that studio space is cheaper in the wee hours). But today at one, I have an on-camera audition for a new technology company that is advertising for a new kind of debit card, one that can double as a work or student ID. Ten years ago, studying apocalyptic prophecies as a Bible-thumping preteen, I would have called such a thing "the mark of the Beast," and today, I am auditioning for its commercial. This business steals your soul, lemme tell ya...

The script. I am helping my boss write one of TCTC's mainstage shows, Jack and the Beanstalk. The process has been an interesting one, what with auditions this week and me leaving the office too often to build any real momentum. We estimate that we are about 15% done with a script that needs to be complete by tomorrow afternoon, when we read it aloud to the artistic director and executive producer. We have already written sides of scenes for callbacks--it's just filling in the rest of the show that's the problem. Without really intending to, we are adding hints of Marxist haves-vs.-have-nots social theory: the Giant is revealed to be a thief, having stolen the goose and harp years ago from the villagers, for example. With the current economic crisis (or lack thereof, depending on your sources and lifestyle), I think a lot of this talk of poverty and riches will resonate strongly with parents as well as kids. But first--! We need to get that script finished.

The interview. Yesterday, I had a job interview at the Covedale Performing Arts Center in West Cincinnati. The Covedale is part of Cincinnati Landmark Productions. They are looking to jumpstart an after-school drama program for preteens to build their young company. And because the position is part-time, melds a passion for theatre with a love for teaching kids, and pays, it would be absolutely perfect for me. The interview went quite well--we started five minutes early, lost track of time, and finished five minutes late--and so I think (at the risk of sounding cocky) I have a decent shot at it. I'll know by Monday.

--

It's been a good week and productive. And it's only Thursday.

2 comments:

Chase said...

This sounds great, Chris.

PS- I read the first part of Angels in America -- but I need to order the second part. So I'm waiting for that, but I might be chatting you up soon to discuss some thoughts.

SC said...

Part two is...well, it's different. We'll talk.