3.17.2009

Specs

"Nobody! Nobody!"

-- Polyphemus, shortly after being blinded, when the other Cyclops giants ask who has harmed him

--

Today, the digital camera came in a box within a box. I unwrapped only the camera, batteries, and memory card, and played for an hour while my laptops swapped data. I left them that way, streaming gigabytes and estimating minutes through the very air of my ventilated room.

It is seventy-five degrees now in the city, and windows are opening everywhere. The black folks on my block have resumed their porch parties, which begin every evening as the sun touches the treeline, to the sound of plank-shaking bass and coolly-spoken profanities.

--

The artistic director of the Children's Theatre stopped me as I left the office today. We went into the firing/hiring/break room. He asked me if I write. I told him that I blog, and that I sometimes write creatively in private, too. I also mentioned a few satire articles from my college's newspaper. He asked if I write anything dramatic, and I told him that I wrote a few plays and scenes for some theatre classes, and that none of my plays have ever reached production. I got the impression he was about to ask me to try my hand at writing a children's play, when suddenly he turned, left the room, and called "Okay" back to me over his shoulder.

I don't know what that means.

--

My girlfriend made porkchops for herself, her roommate and me. I have rice cooking in a pot, and I assume some steamed veggies are on the way (probably peas, maybe corn, possibly both). My evening meals have been various and healthy lately, and I submit no complaints. Good food is good.

Bad television, though, will remain bad. However many half-episodes of "Sex and the City" I swindle myself into watching, I don't think I'll ever approve. I always feel kinda stupid just for being a guy--and a straight guy, at that--whenever I watch it. Or at least ostricized. Or maybe just confused.

I felt the same way when I watched The Hours (though that is a good movie).

--

Speaking of swindling, this online pop-culture mag seems swanky at first glance--but is it just a swindle?

--

The plan with the old laptop is to finish the file transfer (13GB of music, 3GB of other stuff) and then scrap it to a tech dealer near the university. I figure I can get about $50 for it and all its parts. If not, well, I'll take what I can get. Even twenty dollars would be nice: that's eighty gumballs.

No comments: