3.20.2009

League

"6.08."

-- online download calculator's estimate of how much longer it will take for my files to transfer from the old laptop to the new, in days

--

Tomorrow, I audition for the League of Cincinnati Theatres at 10:30am. My intent at the start of this month was to memorize and perfect a new audition monologue in time for this "unified" (after all, what else would I do with three weeks?), but that has fallen to the wayside. Somewhere between rehearsing two shows and buying a laptop, I forgot to think about my future. Go me.

So I'm sticking to the old song, the one I've used for nearly a year. And the monologue is sort of new; at the unifieds in Chicago two months back, I debuted a Bosola 'logue from The Duchess of Malfi. (And classicists and English majors rejoiced.) It's coming back tomorrow.

I tried to work a monologue I found in a short comic play called "Your Mother's Butt." But I think the main reason I wanted to use it was so I could say in my intro, "And my monologue is from your mother's butt." [beat] "By Alan Ball."

But it's just not that good of a monologue.

--

I'm not thrilled to use material that is not as fresh as it could be. Having begun my acting career with the deplorable habit of winging auditions (i.e., rationalizing rather than memorizing), I feel like I perhaps ought to be ashamed of myself. At the same time, I got my current job by recycling a song I learned in a high school musical and a monologue from a scene I used at ACTF. Like Girard's pharmakon, it is the poison and the cure.

My girlfriend is using the same monologue from her audition last year for the same group. I see nothing wrong with that. If it works, it works. It's better to be confident in stuff that works than queasy about stuff that might work. And anyway, her song is different.

(That being said, if anyone knows of a character in a play that seems like "my type," please recommend it. I've been reading a lot of plays lately, and I feel like I'm finding none that work for me.)

--

Yet all things work together for Good: Yesterday, a job opportunity fell into my lap. And I'm taking it.

While nothing is official now (hence the sketchy, coy hints in this post), there is a decent chance that I will be moving on up within the next few months. At least, moving up in position and authority. Let's just say I will be looking at things from the other side of the desk, if all goes well.

Who's stoked and has two thumbs? This guy.

--

On a side note, I tried to explain Girardian mimetic theory to my co-workers today. It did not go well. I need to brush up on my Satan, reread segments of Scapegoat.

1 comment:

JHitts said...

Funny, I tried to explain Dr. Reist to my co-workers the other day. That, too, didn't go well.