6.26.2010

Indy II

"Gracias."

-- the end of all Indianapolis International Airport's announcements, which are done in English and then in Spanish

--

After wrangling with and succumbing to the airport's Boingo scam, I'm back online.

There's an hour before we board. As I told my sister, whom I will see in a matter of hours, I'm surrounded by fogies and farners.

The MegaBus got me to Indy, and I had only a vague idea that I needed to head west on Washington to find a Green Line stop to shuttle me to the airport. Along the way, I stopped at the Pita Pit and grabbed a gyro pita with hummus. I took it to go and dragged my suitcase to the Circle Center, where I sat in the shadow of the Civil War memorial and ate my pita and took a few pictures. (I'll upload them later.) There was a car show but not many people. Some teens wearing lanyards ignored me as I wiped sweat from my forehead and crouched on the steps, delaying the inevitable dragging of the suitcase to the Green Line stop.

It wasn't far, and it didn't take long. The next time I travel so much by bus, I'm going to pay my fare online in advance or (this is more practical) just plan to have exact change. Paying the airport shuttle fare with a credit card is just ridiculous. The driver refused my twenty with reluctance, then asked for plastic. I handed it over and as she swiped it, I felt awkward just standing there so I said, "That's the thing about ATMs, huh? They always give you large bills."

"Hm."

--

Got to the airport and, having checked in yesterday, breezed past the check-ins and made straight for the bar. Enjoyed an overpriced Jack and coke and watched some tennis on the high-def. Buzzed, I breezed again, this time to security, where I extracted my plastic baggie of liquids, chucked my Aquafina bottle, took off my belt and shoes, and removed all electronics from my bags. (I had to be reminded about the shoes, but otherwise I was prepared, having paid attention when I watched Up in the Air.)


The seats are filling around me. I need to read or something.

No comments: