7.16.2009

Trolls

"Keep your goals away from the trolls."

-- my latest fortune cookie fortune

--

A few days ago, I went to a Chinese restaurant to kill some time before my acting class (which gets better every day, by the way). In addition to receiving a fine plate of pineapple chicken, I got a smarmy fortune cookie. It's the best bit of advice I've ever gotten from a yellow piece of warped sugar, I'm convinced of it.

(It's not really a fortune, granted. But it's killer smarts.)

So I'm keeping my goals away from the trolls. Saving money from the spending of it. Fighting bad cases of morning apathy.

--

For the moment, I spy certain goals down the line: auditions, Stratford, Guster, Cincinnati Fringe.

Trolls: spreadsheets, whiskey-and-Cokes, playwrighter's block.

--

July is an up-month for work and travel, or so it seems. A down-month for reflection: No one's blogging. (At least, no one's blogging who doesn't have to blog--some corporate blogs on my list have served up daily vanilla posts for the last week or so.) It's the doldrums of summer, I guess.

Maybe this makes us wise. They say that a wise man only speaks when there is something to say, and a fool flaps his yap when he just has to say something.

Silence is golden; we grow rich by attrition. If you want something to gather interest, leave it alone. It will yield.

No comments: