6.17.2009

Tunes

"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead."

-- Ben Franklin

"Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead."

-- The Pierces, "Secret"

--

Picked up The Pierces CD because of the title, Thirteen Tales of Love and Revenge. Two sisters singing neo-feminist tunes, a sort of heavier, dancier version of The Ditty Bops. Good stuff.

--

Also listening to:

- Orange Juice, The Glasgow School
-
Jazz Side of the Moon, The Music of Pink Floyd
-
Oasis, Don't Believe the Truth
-
Pink Floyd, Animals

God, how I love the library.

--

Got the car registered in Kentucky. At the DMV, a middle-aged woman in a blue sweater moved like a tortoise and ate granola from a Tupperware and punched computer keys like it was a yoga, so much control and slowness of movement.

Then she told me I have to get a Kentucky driver's license. Said if I get pulled over with a Kentucky title and registration but a Nebraska license, the police can have my car towed. I think this is a lie, or at least a secondhand exaggeration.

--

Started to watch The Omen remake last night, but the agony ended less than twenty minutes in. I simply can't bear Julia Stiles' acting. It's just bad. And poor Mia Farrow and Liev Schreiber, trying to compensate for bad writing with stillness. Just too bad.

Jury's still out on 30 Rock, Tina Fey's latest attempt. Watched the pilot and "The Aftermath" after the Omen flop.

--

This weekend has a friend's summerstock Sondheim show and a possible Led Zeppelin tribute concert.

3 comments:

JHitts said...

Oh man. I didn't realize that a public library would even have Orange Juice. That's awesome. I actually haven't picked up that album in a while but I remember "Falling and Laughing" and "Blue Boy" were great songs.

Also: 30 Rock is hilarious, but I think maybe it takes a few episodes to get into the characters. But Alec Baldwin's interactions with Tina in every episode are the best part of the show.

So, this is still me said...

1. Last week, I went to a Pink Floyd light show. It was utterly terrifying.

2. Just got my MA license. I was called for jury duty in Hillsdale and needed to prove that I'm no longer a resident. They threatened me with a bench warrant.

3. It took me a while to warm up to 30 Rock. I hope that you decide to like it. It's sort of like a cheap wine...the more you drink the better it tastes.

SC said...

@Jack: The Kenton Co. Library here in Covington is amazing. Not only are they proud of their local color (hicks and homeless), but they have a kickass selection of music. My first impression was that their CD collection was fairly lackluster, but then I discovered the drawers beneath the shelves, which contain the more obscure, less-checked-out material.

@Rhi: A few months back the U of Cincinnati played Dark Side of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz for their movie night. I'd seen the film before, but being completely immersed in the soundtrack with the images on the big screen freaked me out a little.

@Both: Baldwin's a winner. Is it just me, or is his career choice of parodying himself even stronger than other self-deprecating pioneers, like Shatner, for example? I have to admit, I like the "new" Alec.