4.05.2009

Skyline

"But how is it with yourself--yourself?"

-- the blind governess in Kipling's "'They'"

--

Ate my third three-way at Skyline Chili tonight with Sawicki and Bugay, who were in town from Chicago to see a high school show downtown. Apparently the high school rents out the big venue at the Aronoff Center, which gets the Broadway touring shows and other big acts. Teresa and I saw (for free) the Playhouse in the Park's The Foreigner while they were seeing the other show. We met up before the shows at a bistro called Biagio's, near the indie film joint on Ludlow, and reunited afterward at the Blind Lemon, where we had a few drinks apiece. Then, as I said, we went to Skyline.

I've gone three times now, and the bizarre chili (the predominant flavors are chocolate and cinnamon) is growing on me. Their three-way, which is chili and cheddar over a bed of spaghetti, was made for late nights.

At the same time, we did see some poor wretch being carried from the ladies' bathroom, where she apparently gave up the ghosts of her Skyline dinner.

--

Today, we played the Erlanger Public Library. The parking lot is all on one side of the building, which is in the area closest to an "inner-city district" in that part of Kentucky, and our loading in and out was long: up the wheelchair ramp, in through the front doors, past the clicking portal, and across the bookshelves to a small cleared space. Literally, we were between bookshelves and the reference section. People on computers turned halfway around during the show and removed their headphones, confused.

--

Two big steps coming up. One, I gave my parents the go-ahead on buying a car in Nebraska. I'll pay them back over the next few months, and when they visit in May, they'll bring along the 2003 gold Neon. And two, I see an apartment tomorrow, the best prospect I have of a living situation right now. It's owned by the boss whom I'm replacing. It's cheap, on the third floor, and in Covington, probably the swankiest Cincinnati suburb south of the river.

Heat isn't covered, but I'd only pay for the one apartment. And heat rises.

No comments: