3.29.2009

Stances

"If I stand
Let me stand on the promise
That you will pull me through
And if I can't
Let me fall on the grace
That first brought me to you."

-- Rich Mullins, "If I Stand"

--

Talked to my dad tonight about future things. Lots of recommendations. I understand where he's coming from, so while I don't agree with everything he says, I agree with him saying it to me. His father never talked to him about basic "being a man" things.

No one told him, "While conflict for conflict's sake is dumb, sometimes people will push your buttons just to find out what mettle you're made of. Are you a man? They want to know. They'll act like you shouldn't. But they really want you to. There's a chance that if you never stand up to them, they will never truly respect you." No father figure told him that. So he tells me.

And I'm glad for it.

No comments: