3.03.2009

Presence

"This is it, I think, this is it, right now, the present, this empty gas station, here, this western wind, this tang of coffee on the tongue, and I am patting the puppy, I am watching the mountain. And the second I verbalize this awareness in my brain, I cease to see the mountain or feel the puppy. I am opaque, so much black asphalt. But at the same second, the second I know I've lost it, I also realize the puppy is still squirming on his back under my hand. Nothing has changed for him."

-- Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

--

I hope I am a cautious reader. I try to keep one eye on the text and one on the whole. While I read, I am simultaneously thinking about what is happening now, and how it fits into the work as a whole. It is like enjoying an entree and thinking about dessert.

The above passage from Dillard surprised me. There is a passage in Bradbury's Dandelion Wine that deals with the same sort of awareness of Now; it occurs when the main character, a boy anxious for summer vacation, runs into a field and feels summer coming. He cannot explain it, he cannot pinpoint it, but at the same time, he knows it is there.

When I read, I am always skeptical of the book, especially if it was recommended to me. I repeatedly take stock in what's happened, estimating what the future holds, gauging, appraising. I am like an accountant working on a ledger, reworking the balance every few lines. I don't want any mistakes. I want to be sure I am not taken by surprise, because then I may as well read thrillers just for thrills. I may as well watch Saw movies. I want to see the work in my hands evolve in words, as species evolve in populations; to feel the story or narrative growing, referencing itself, like a living thing; to match wits with the author, ten thousand miles away, a century apart, and see what's coming.

And so, when I am surprised, the fact itself surprises me, and the double-decker is better than the single pattied burger.

--

I look back into the text I am reading, and I find that it has not changed, that the words are still in order, the paragraphs are still indented. The content remains; my awareness is heightened. So now I cannot breeze through the language. I must chew it. I must reread a single word, marveling at the connection of syllables, the arrangement of symbols. I get stuck on a sentence, realizing the rhythm, bobbing with it. It is jazz in prose, improvised description. It is dancing on a floor with a million words, scanning and jigging, waltzing with English. It leads me and it follows me.

--

I write these words with only shadows of meaning in my head. The letters in the text box, the unindented paragraphs, the temptation to save and view the blog--to rewrite already--and the doubt that I have expressed myself clearly, all conspire to kill that jazz, that living from line to line. This is it, I think, this is the present, and what a simple joy to stop, see, try to conquer, to capture. It is the essence of photography and psychology and prose, wrapped up in pretension, presented online.

It is blogging.

No comments: