10.25.2008

Dunkin

"No vans."

-- Sign outside the parking garage off Michigan Ave., Chi-Town, where we parked our family van

--

Took the Megabus over to Indianapolis, then up to Chicago last night. After the shows, after the rain, after the drama. It was a gray afternoon, pelting rain smacking windshields and umbrellas, but after some chicken teriyaki in the hidden mall on Race St., I was ready for the five-hour ride. Left the southern storms for the northern ones. An old man, a Demarco doppleganger, kept hopping among single seats. The driver played Stargate. I listened to Mae and called people. The man beside me was maybe a criminal and a father. The woman in front of me was the only one who introduced herself to the driver, and she is rich. A yuppy couple kicked me out of my single seat so they could sit together: him with his econ notebook and its many graphs and scrawl, her with her iPod and Mediterranean bread. Bus folks.

Met with Matt, hit up Greektown, threw back a few feta fries and some beer. Missy met up, too, walk-talked me to the Red Line, and on the damp and shiny corner of Church and Davis, cold and streaked with rain, the white minivan pulled up. It was almost one. I was walking squares around the intersection, trying to look like I was going someplace, the only one on the street, twirling my umbrella and humming "Singin' in the Rain" for distraction. The van in the scary dark was like an angel with GPS.

Surprised Sharon at the hotel and crashed in a double bed. Ajax is skinnier and a bit frazzled by the location change. Saw Lola, recovered from her recent (mild) heart attack, hugged and kissed her. Relaxed with the fam and jimmied open the window. Crisp air from the lake, sunlight chasing leftover clouds.

--

We ate Dunkin Donuts for a second breakfast. After the continental at LaQuinta. My return trip begins at ten, giving me a few hours left for walking, eating dinner, and feeling the sidewalks under my feet. The concrete that should own me. The air I want to breathe. The accent I want to develop.

--

We're in the Apple Store near the Disney Store. (Near a lot of stores.) They're playing Madonna now and I don't even care. We took crazy, campy webcam photos, Sharon in her Navy blacks, me in my scarf, Paige in her element, Nick in his prime. I need to earn my next laptop. Gotta start soon.

(About Sharon in uniform: It's a sharp look. I've always thought the Navy had the best dressed folks. As classy and compact as you'd like, Matrix garb for a new Navy sailor. Her school starts in a few days, and we couldn't be prouder. We've all signed the card in private and will present her with it soon. I've given her my transit card so she can get a jump on the L.)

No comments: