9.06.2008

Robbed

"That's why I'm singin why
What is wrong with the world today?"

-- Flight of the Conchords

--

Our director has told us that a lot of her playwriting prowess has been stolen from the Flight of the Conchords. Mix that in with Algonquin legend and a naturalistic set, and you've got some comedy.

I'm told that as the middle sister, I have a "fierce walk." I just love my beads, man.

--

My debit card has been stolen. My first-real-paycheck high came to an abrupt drop when I saw how much damage can be done overnight. Thursday come, Friday go. I try to tell myself, It's just money, and once the police get into the fray, I'll get it all back, but what really irks me is myself, oddly: I can't believe how much loathing and pitiless derision I have for this random (probably poor, opportunistic) person who has done this to me, an equally random and faceless victim.

If only I hadn't dropped my wallet coming out of my car...I figure that's when it happened, but that's the frustration at losing something. I can't remember where I lost it. That's a big part of why it's now lost.

I hope he/she enjoyed his/her breakfast in Kentucky. The bastard.

Have I really been the victim of identity theft? Such a weird way to think of oneself, and I guess that's part of the fear of it. Someone has been pretending to be me, spending my earnings. My card sits in a slot in their wallet. And I say, Fuck him or her.

--

Along with several hundred dollars of my money, this person has robbed me of a big chunk of my faith in humanity. Or at least, the kind of humanity that lives on my street.

2 comments:

Sam said...

hey, sorry to hear about your wallet-the same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. the thing is, i think i left it in a store and the girl working the cash register picked it up. i actually went back and asked her if she had seen it. pretty sure she lied to my face. people are disgusting sometimes. but what can you do? not a lot, i guess.

are you still reading franny and zooey? i picked it up yesterday while i was shopping and was planning on starting it tonight? is it any good?

-quinn

SC said...

I told a friend that I was trying to take from this experience everything positive that I could think of, and she said, "Like: Don't drop your wallet?"

"Yeah. I guess."

--

Franny and Zooey is one of the best books I've read (this is my third reading). Very Eastern at times, with a lot of great commentary on religion, art, and pretension. I've found that reading the dialogue aloud (as with all Salinger) can really up your enjoyment. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!