5.29.2008

Profile

"Don't surround yourself with yourself."

-- Yes, "I Seen All Good People"

--

In an effort to make things simpler, I downsized my Facebook account. I removed almost all of it, perhaps callously: movies, TV shows, interests, music, quotes, info, all deleted. I didn't plan to get rid of so much. I logged on because I wanted to add something, actually, and the thought occurred to me that the amount of "me" that I've tossed onto the Internet has become cluttered--has become clutter, actually. I guess I was just using Facebook to keep track of things I liked, but I don't need Facebook to do that. I know what things I like. That's why I like them. It's not like I'm going to forget all the movies I like if I don't keep them all in a big list. And if I'm not trying to keep track of all of them for myself, then it's an outward gesture. I'm trying to send some kind of message to anyone who actually reads my profile lists, and if that's what I'm really doing, well, I shouldn't be doing it.

So I won't.

In other news, the house cleans up nicely with every day. Sharon and I have our graduation party on Sunday, belated on account of the cruise and my closeness to home. I cut the grass for the first time in over a year, I think. For some reason, it feels easier now, more natural. Along those lines, I had to pull a monster weed. It was at least the size of a suitcase, about four feet tall, and it had dug a three-foot root under the sidewalk. Took almost an hour of hacking, digging, crunching, raking and yanking for it to give. It was thorny, too, and some of its plant venom is merrily numbing my palms. It was apparently an overgrown dandelion. The whole process felt kind of like defeating a nemesis.

--

I'll have to suspend my reading in about a week, pending my brief visit to Michigan before bunking down in Huron.

No comments: